Lunana Snowman Trek is a long and challenging trek travelling to Lunana a remote and rarely visited region of the Eastern Himalaya. Far more people have climbed to the summit of Mount Everest than completed this unique traverse of Bhutan.
This is a 29 day trek crossing the north of Bhutan along the border with Tibet covering 356km and crossing eight Himalayan mountain passes. Very few westerners have ever visited the remote district of Lunana due to its inaccessibility; one can only get in and out by crossing mountain passes over 5,000m that are frequently blocked by snow. Our itinerary completes the full journey starting in Paro and finishing near Bumthang.
At the start of the trip we organise a visit to Haa valley for two nights in order to help essential acclimatisation before the trek. This valley offers wonderful scenic walk along trails passing through traditional villages as well as magnificent monasteries. This is a beautiful area adorned with pristine alpine forests and still remains one of the least visited areas in the country.
The mountain views throughout Lunana Snowman trek are spectacular with many peaks along the Bhutan and Tibet border un-named and un-mapped, you will see several mountains over 7,000m such as Chomolhari and Gangkar Punsum the world’s highest unclimbed mountain. The Lunana Snowman has been described by the Bhutan Trekkers as “one of the most difficult and beautiful of the whole Himalayas.
Lunana Snowman Trek Highlights :
- This is a challenging 28 day trek through the remote and rarely visited Lunana region in Northern Bhutan along the border with Tibet. On Lunana Snowman trek you will cross eight Himalayan mountain passes over 4,000m and three over5,000m.
- Lunana Snowman is one of the most difficult and beautiful treks in the Himalayas.
- At the start of the trip we organise a visit to Haa valley for two nights in order to help essential acclimatisation before the trek. This valley offers wonderful scenic walk along trails passing through traditional villages and magnificent monasteries.
- Cultural tour of Bumthang, Trongsa, Punakha and Thimphu after the trek.
- More people have summitted Mount Everest than walk the complete Snowman trek from Paro to Bumthang.